Tuesday, April 26, 2011

HELP!

Ok, so when doing locs on your own; at home with no loctician, how do you keep them from looking dull and keep them shining? My hair isn't fully-locked yet so I'm thinking that may be a part of the reason I'm having issues but also, I oil my scalp and hair after I wash it. It looks fine right after but after I've slept on it looks a bit dull. I guess I should share that I'm semi free-forming and not really re-twisting with clips or re-twisting often.

Anyone have any suggestions for condition methods or locking in moisture?

4 comments:

  1. Do you use a hair spritz of any kind? Depending on your budget you can try African Pride's Braid Spray or if you're willing to spend a little more something like Oyin Handmade's nourishing herbal leave-in (Juices & Berries is the bomb)

    Sometimes I just mix a little vegetable glycerin and favorite oil in distilled or spring water to make my own spritz. Currently I'm using some left over Carol's Daughter leave in conditioner and added some Jamaican Black Castor Oil to it and I use every other morning. Stuff like this may help out and give your hair more sheen. And if you don't know already sleep with a Satin or Silk bonnet or pillow cases, anything else can rob the moisture out your hair. Hope this helps. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spritz with water, shake and go! I have moisture retention issues that I'm yet to resolve so water spritzing is my only method right now.. replacing the moisture lost regularly

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can use a spritzer bottle with a mix of your fav oils if not too expensive. Try a couple drops of lavender, safflower and jojoba oils (I've a friend who uses a similar combo but with more oils).

    I currently use Soft n Beautiful 3 n 1 Botanical oil sheen. It's not expensive. Sometimes, I spray it in my hands with a few drops of water, rub them together then put on my hair. Sometimes I do that at night then tie my head down with a satin scarf. But be sure to change your pillowcase if you do that method often. Don't want to have a bad breakout.

    And I love the new blog look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the suggestions and comments!! Very helpful indeed!

    ReplyDelete