Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Re-twist Freaks

So, a lot of people say they want to get locs or dreads, but then when they do get them they are obsessed with them "being neat", and in order to achieve this neatness they go back to the salon almost weekly. If the salon you are going to is allowing you to come back so often, know that they are setting you up and it is less about knowledge and achieving healthy hair for them, and really about the money.

The constant re-twist is like a perm for locked folks. We need to get out of the habit of seeing our own kinky hair as bad hair or something that needs to be tamed, or hidden. Since I am in school right now, I can't sympathize with people with office jobs who say it is unprofessional for them to go too long without a re-twist. However,  when I had an internship with a 9-5 schedule, in an office, in between re-twists I would wear a black head wrap with my professional attire and nothing was unprofessional about it.

I would like to say that this post is not meant to offend anyone, but just to open people's eyes to why we have certain habits and belief,s and to think about where they come from, and why they are perpetuated even when we decide to wear natural hair. I am no expert, nor am I perfect. This is just food for thought.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post!
    "Neat" for some people with locs is to have all the frizzy pieces in place. But that cannot happen every single time. I go every 4 wks to have my hair washed and re-locked and this month, from the second day it was fuzzy. Relocking the hair every week may just weaken the loc. And heaven forbid if you have thinner locs. Don't you put yourself at a greater risk for breakage?

    ReplyDelete